I developed some head trackers for audio-only VR applications. They are patent pending and are now in early-stage production.
- 3 degrees of freedom with precision better than one degree. (6 degrees of freedom mode is being researched, but I’m not promising it.)
- Choice of 10ms or 20ms sensor readout rate.
- USB MIDI class compliant, and can also be used with a UART for embedded applications.
- Output as quaternions, Tait-Bryan angles (yaw-pitch-roll), or a transformation matrix.
- Two buttons for hardware orientation resetting and configuration; this can also be done remotely.
Resources for people on the alpha programme
This program accepts any head tracker, of any version, figures out what it needs, and upgrades it to the pre-production specification. Run it and let it tell you what to do.
- macOS release (bootloader version 1.10; firmware version 0.52)
- Windows release (bootloader version 1.10; firmware version 0.52). If your computer complains about a missing dll, you will need to install the latest Microsoft C++ redistributable.
The Supperware Firmware Tool and binary image are no longer required. (In case you need them, they’ve been moved to the Legacy Downloads section of the release notes page.)
If you’re a programmer, the MIDI specification is what you need to communicate with the head tracker.
- Here’s the new one (that works with 0.50 and onwards).
- Here’s the legacy one (that was written for previous versions).
There are also release notes to tell you what has been fixed or changed since the last version you downloaded.